New South Wales reported three cases of Covid-19 on Saturday, taking the total associated with the Bondi outbreak to six.
Two previously unreported cases were announced, including a woman in her 40s from the eastern suburbs who visited a number of venues in Westfield Bondi Junction. The second case, reported overnight, is a man in his 30s who lives in Sydney and also visited Westfield Bondi Junction.
His case will be reported in tomorrow’s numbers.
These are in addition to the case reported on Friday afternoon of a man in his 50s who was on the same floor of the Westfield Bondi Junction Myer as the initial Bondi case last Saturday.
NSW health minister Brad Hazzard said the delta variant which is behind this outbreak is a “near and present danger” given the fleeting contact between cases at the Bondi Junction Westfield.
“It is fair to say that this delta virus would appear to be a near and present danger to anybody who is in the vicinity,” he said.
The woman in her 40s regularly walks through the shopping centre, and it is not clear yet the date transmission occurred.
The NSW government made masks mandatory on public transport in greater Sydney on Friday for the next five days, but has so far refrained from introducing other restrictions.
The mandate came after NSW Health determined on Friday that the new case was as a result of a “fleeting contact” with an existing case. It is the second “fleeting contact” transmission connected to the first case.
A woman in her 70s was sitting outside a cafe that the initial case had visited and genomic sequencing of her virus is an exact match to the first case.
People who were at the Myer on the same floor at the same time last weekend have been told to notify NSW Health, get tested and isolate for 14 days.
On the first day since restrictions in Melbourne were significantly eased, Victoria reported one new locally acquired case of Covid-19. However, it was a primary close contact of a previously identified case and had been isolating for his entire infectious period, so there are no new exposure sites.
The state recorded more than 30,000 test results on Friday. Acting premier James Merlino has said the testing rate would need to remain high in order to have confidence to further ease restrictions from Thursday.
On Friday Queensland made the Sydney local government area of Waverley a hotspot, meaning anyone visiting the state from there will need to isolate for 14 days.
Post source: Guardian
No related posts.